Monday, November 2, 2009

Artist or Hater???

Having Music Industry friends and associates can be enlightening or annoying... depends on who you're talking to. One thing Ive learned over the past few years is the more successful you become the more people question whether your pure talent is what is keeping you above water or your relationships. This is common in many industries I'm sure but in a world where everything about your entire being is criticized with every step I'm sure it is disheartening.

But.... I digress this isn't what this post is about
... this is actually a vent post... Ive ran across quite a few artists that have nothing but negative things to say about their peers. Its actually laughable because the artists that they criticize and target the most are the ones that are wildly more successful than themselves. Yes.. ...I know that not every song in the top 100 is "great" and it can even irritate me to know that when there is so much good music out there why is this being pushed so hard down the throat of consumers....... but I cant knock them when I don't have a song in the top 100 (yet) and this is their time to shine..... I got next.

I decided to do my research and figure out why a lot of artists feel the need to focus on other artists weaknesses and take the time to bring them down. In the book "The Artists Way" written by Julia Cameron she notes that a lot of artists search out weaknesses in other artists because it is the same flaw that they have identified in themselves (takes one to know one).


Hmmm... interesting and I'm inclined to believe that this is the case with most artists who hate. Instead of focusing on correcting your own flaws you highlight the fact that another artists may struggle with the same battle. This reminds me of a ol' bitter woman who feels insecurities about her own weight so she makes sure to point out every cute girl with a gut... go get on a treadmill and shut. up.


I listened in on a conversation with a music veteran recently and he pointed out that everyone has something to offer but everyone is so busy trying to compete that they don't realize if we all team up we can not only make great music, we can change lives and all win. He compared it to poker... no one wants to show their cards.. everyone is wearing their poker face. I just feel like we should allow everyone to explore their creative side freely as long as no one is getting hurt why should I care that someone else makes music that I would never make or that some singers voices aren't as trained as others... that's the beauty of art theres no right or wrong way to go about creating it.


Competition is great... and welcomed over here... but I've had about enough of the amateurs criticizing those that are at least trying to show and prove... in the words of Kanye... why wont ya'll just let them be great???

"My name is Melody... and I'm sick of the mediocre crowd attacking the ordinary crowd."

1 comment: